I know it seems like an absolute age ago, but back in November last year we spent a week staying in a nice cosy barn conversion just outside Horsington, a tiny village just inside Somerset/Dorset border.
Our primary objective for our break was to visit the Longleat Festival of Light, which we did ... it was amazing, but more about that in another post. Courtyard Barn was the perfect location for exploring an area, which was pretty new to the both of us ...
16-23 November 2018
How many does it sleep?
6 - There were two roomy doubles upstairs and a further double on the ground floor
How much was it?
Who did we book with?
Whilst only a short drive from the main A303, the barns are situated on Lois Farm, down a very quiet country lane and feel as though they are literally in the heart of the countryside.
We were greeted and welcomed by Tanya who showed us around our home for the next week and let us know where everything was and how everything worked.
The first room off the entrance hall that you see when entering the barn is the lounge and it was just lovely ...
... bright and light, with two big squishy sofas and a log burner that we just knew would be getting lit at some point during our stay.
There was also a nice comfy looking downstairs bedroom, with an en suite shower room ...
... and a spacious kitchen and dining area ...
There were French doors from the dining area out onto a small courtyard area, with views of the open countryside ...
... and a welcome pack with a few nice treats ...
... as well as a family bathroom, though the ceilings are too low upstairs for there to be a shower.
There were flowers in every room ...
... and plenty of quirky and homely touches ...
Everywhere looked spotlessly clean and we couldn't wait to get unpacked and settled in.
Our likes over the course of our stay ...
- The barn was really comfortable with big squishy sofas and nice comfy beds.
- The kitchen was really well equipped. We managed to find everything we needed for cooking 'at home'.
- There was plenty of storage space throughout the barn, plenty of hanging space in the bedrooms and plenty of space for storing our own bits and pieces in the kitchen.
- The location was lovely ... very quiet, no passing traffic and fabulous views.
- There were a number of places that we wanted to visit during our stay and, whilst nowhere is really on the doorstep, everywhere we wanted to get to was within an easy 20-30 minute drive.
Anything that could have made it better ...
- As we used the upstairs bedrooms, rather than the downstairs en suite, it would have been nice to have had a shower upstairs, though I can totally see why this isn't possible.
- Whilst it was really easy to control the temperature in the barn, there were a few days when we got back early and it was quite chilly, as the timer is set for the temperature to get warmer at 4pm. It was easy enough to over ride it and it warmed up quite quickly, but it would have been nice for it to have felt warm when we got back.
Would we recommend this property to our friends and family?
Would we stay in this cottage again?
I think it maybe unlikely that we would visit this exact same spot again, but if we did we would certainly be happy to make Courtyard Barn our home again.
We did manage to get out and about a fair bit over the course of the week and I've plenty more to share, so hopefully I will see you back here again soon 😀