I've cooked this dish 3 or 4 times now, and every time I've done it we've really enjoyed it. The recipe seems to change a bit every time I do it, so I'll give an overall guide but leave it to you to decide on what and how much fish you want to use and how 'saucy' you like it.
Sorry, I didn't note the preparation time, but it can be made up in advance - bonus!
Cooking time - 30-45 minutes.
2 medium sized salmon fillets
2 medium sized cod fillets
2 packs of fresh, cooked prawns
1 pack of frozen small scallops (from Asda)
500ml fish stock
Good pinch of saffron, added to the fish stock
75g butter, plus extra for greasing
4 heaped tbsp plain flour
300g mushrooms, sliced
Lasagne sheets - I used about a pack and a half
Grated Parmesan for sprinkling over
Salt, freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg & paprika
For the tomato sauce
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
Fresh basil - as much as you fancy
Roasted cherry vine tomatoes with basil
- Make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 minutes, until softened and golden. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season and stir in the basil.
- Put the salmon and cod fillets in a shallow microwavable dish with a couple of tablespoons of water, cover with clingfilm, pierce and microwave until nearly cooked (about 3 minutes in my microwave). Remove the fish from the dish, reserving any liquid, for including in the stock. Remove any bones and skin from the fish and flake and place to one side.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until smooth, with no lumps. Gradually add the stock and the milk, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil. At this point you are aiming for a nice gloopy sauce consistency. If too runny, either sprinkle in more flour, or do your thing with cornflour. If too thick, then add more liquid.
- When you are happy with the consistency of the sauce, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lightly grease your lasagne dish. Spoon a thin layer of mushroom sauce over the base of the dish and spread evenly.
- Stir the flaked fish, the cooked prawns and the raw small scallops (fully defrosted, if bought frozen) into the remaining mushroom sauce in the pan.
- Add a layer of lasagne to your dish, then a layer of fish and sauce. Add another layer of lasagne, then spread over all of the tomato sauce. Continue to layer the lasagne and fish, finishing with a layer of fish and sauce.
- Sprinkle over Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve and enjoy!