We hadn't picked the strawberries for a few days and some had started to go over. We were never going to eat all we picked, so time to make some jam.
Martin went off to Sainsbury's for some jam sugar and a lemon and I sterilised the jars.
Makes sufficient jam to fill 4 small jars
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 15 minutes
500g fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into pieces
500g jam sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Place the strawberries and lemon juice in a large pan and heat through until strawberries have begun to go soft.
- Add sugar and heat until thoroughly dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is clear, boil steadily for about six minutes, or until at setting point. To test if the jam is at setting point, spoon a little onto a cold plate, leave for a few seconds and then push the jam with your finger. If the jam crinkles and separates without running back, setting point has been reached.
- Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, label and seal.
It really is that easy!!