Since the beginning of May my Timehop and Facebook pages have been bombarding me with memories of this time last year, when we were in the throes of having some pretty heavy work done in the garden.
Before the works started I published this post, giving an idea of how things looked back then and what our plans were.
Looking at the garden now it's very easy to forget how it was at the height of the works being done and now seemed as good a time as any to share the progress we've seen over the last year with you.
I took lots of photographs whilst the works were in progress so I thought it might be good to do a before, during and after post of each area of the garden, starting with the top patio which used to look like this ...
The plans for this patio were for it to be extended down a bit further into the garden and fully repaved with a colourful Indian sandstone. We were also having a new brick planter built along the back wall of the house, a new gate and shallower steps up into the garden and some tidying up of the drain.
Before any of the garden works could start we had to have some repairs made to the external render, which really started a period of chaos ...
Once the render repairs were completed works on the garden could begin. The works to improve this patio were not without incident. We had lots of rain, an incorrectly fitted soil pipe, the discovery that the old grey slabs were laid on top of a layer of crazy paving which, in turn, was laid on top of the old concrete yard, leading to lots of issues in excavating the drain. Added to that an incident with the Stihl saw leading to a hospital visit it was a fairly stressful time.
Here is a bit of the journey we went through ...
|Old slabs taken up and new shape starting to be seen|
|The existing side bed will stay but will need to be built up|
Footings going in for the retaining wall for the extended patio area
In spite of the mess these delphiniums just keep on flowering
Starting to see the new shape
Starting to excavate the drain, which needs to be raised to the level of the new paving
|The bottom of the gate was the level of the old patio, it was one hell of a step down|
More slabs, steps and some brick facing
|Delphiniums are still looking good|
My favourite bit so far
|It looks fabulous wet|
Time to build a planter
And some steps
|My new favourite bit|
Finishing off the planter
|We are definitely nearly there now|
July 2017 - BBQ Ready
We have been pretty busy since the landscapers left ...
|We have given the arbor a makeover|
|Added slate chippings around the edges and have a brand new gate|
|Planted up the raised bed in a bit of a purple theme|
Planted up Martin's mum's old bread pansion with succulents which have not only survived the winter, but are actually flowering
|We have added this plantstand, planted with more succulents, ferns and seasonal bedding|
|Re-planted the side bed with a mixture of spring bulbs and evergreen perennials|
It is really starting to look good with plenty of colour and interesting bits and pieces to catch your eye. This is the view from my kitchen door as of today ...And this is the view looking down the garden ...
If you've made it this far, well done and thank you for sticking with it, I know there were lots and lots of pictures, but I am so glad that I've captured this journey that we've been through with this part of the garden.
Overall we are really pleased with how it has turned out and, whilst there are still a few bits and pieces that we want to add or finish off, we are really looking forward to spending lots of time out there over the summer 🌞🌞🌞