We first tried this dish on our first cottage holiday and it's been a firm favourite ever since. We stayed in a lovely cottage called Lindon Lea, right at the bottom of the Lake District, not far from Cartmel and Ulverstone. It's where we planned our wedding, so the cottage will always hold fond memories too.
Sufficient dried pappardelle or tagliatelle for however many you are cooking for
1 onion, chopped
2tsp fennel seeds, or 1 fresh fennel bulb, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Sausages, we always use Lincolnshire, but whatever you fancy
Button mushrooms, as many as you like
1 courgette, sliced
1tbsp whole grain mustard
100ml white wine
200ml crime fraiche
2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- We always grill the sausages first and cut into chunks, a bit more healthy than frying!
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water, according to the packet instructions. Drain.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the butter in a pan and cook the onion until softened. Add the garlic and fennel seeds (or fresh fennel if using) and cook for a further minute.
- Add the button mushrooms and courgette and cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are cooked - we like the courgette to still be firm. Add the sausages.
- Stir in the mustard and wine and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the creme fraiche. Mix with the pasta and scatter with the chopped parsley.